Shelton was originally Es(s)eltone and is probably of Scandinavian derivation. The present house, another Grade 11 listed building, was built on the site of an old Domesday cottage and look-out post for the castle stronghold in the field behind it.
The house , with its rectangular construction and cruck beams, is typical of a late medieval building and was at one time surrounded by a moat, of which only a small pond remains.
The Manor was held in 1562 by Sir Thomas Cheyney, then by his son, Henry. It passed into the hands of various owners including the Griggs and William Prior, and then in 1743, was conveyed to Robert Crichton for £560. (A real bargain by today’s standards.)
Recently it was used as a farm, though most of the farm buildings have now been demolished. Two small rooms were added to the front, and corridors introduced, which meant cutting the cruck beams. Originally the rooms would have occupied the full width of the house, with access from one to another in the centre.