From 1562 the Manor House of the village was occupied by the Lord of the Manor, Thomas Snagge, who was MP for Bedford in 1586, Speaker of the House of Commons in 1588 and Sheriff of the County in
Sir Thomas held the Manor for 32 years until his death in 1626. It then passed to his eldest son, another Thomas, who was the second member of the family to be made Sheriff of the County until 1665. This Thomas died in 1675 and his sons, Thomas and Edward, inherited. The latter was succeeded in 1715 by his only son Edward, who died in 1739. The Snagges then sold the property to Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, who left it to her grandson, the Honourable John Spencer. The Spencers continued to hold the property until 1811, after which the Manor passed to the Alington Family. The Duke of Bedford bought the Manor from Mr Julius Alington of Great Barford in 1873.
The building was substantially renovated in 1880, when it was converted into the farm house of Moat Farm, During the works all the oak panelling was removed to its present position in Woburn Abbey. The farm and house were then sold in 1920 to the Franklin family, who in 1948 sold it to the present owner’s father, Mr E J Hillson, for the grand total of £7500 The house was converted to a Restaurant between Nov 1983 until its opening on 1st Aug 1985, when the name was changed to Moreteyne Manor.
The current chef, Mark Hickman and his team, acquired and re-launched the restaurant in 1996.